Sunday 31 January 2016

1711 Quitclaim Release of Elizabeth Marsden of Bolton in le Moors

This document came up for sale on eBay in January 2016, being sold by Jackson Fine Art Ltd in Southampton.  The starting price was £40.  I thought it was worth extracting the genealogical information from the document before it disappears into a private collection.

1714 Quitclaim of Elizabeth Marsden of Bolton in le Moors


The handwriting is actually fairly legible, but the photograph of the document was low resolution so I couldn't make all of it out.

To all Xtian people to whom this present writeing Indented shall come I ELIZABETH MARSDEN of Bolton in le Moors in the County of Lancs Widow Send Greeting.  Whereas ROBERT LEVER late of Darcy Lever in the said County Gen said in and by his last Will and Testament bearing date the fourth day of February 1686 After some particular limitations for life of his houses shops and lands in Bolton aforesaid And upon the condition thereafter expressed did divide and bequeath the same unto his grandson JOHN ANDREWS (since died) and his heirs forever.  That is to say if the said JOHN ANDREWS or any other on his behalf should pay or cause to be paid unto his granddaughter ELIZABETH ANDREWS the sum of One hundred pounds by twenty pounds a year for five years together next after the decease of his Wife and daughter there in before mentioned.  If the said Elizabeth Andrews so long should live.  As by the same at large may appear.  And whereas he the said JOHN ANDREWS did by deed executed in his life time convey the said house lands and premises unto his second son ROBERT ANDREWS and to his heirs and assigns for ever.  Now know ye that I the said ELIZABETH MARSDEN grandaughter of him the said ROBERT LEVER doo hereby acknowledge that I have actually had and received of and from ANNA ANDREWS (widow and relict and executrix of him the said JOHN ANDREWS my brother) and of and from him the said ROBERT ANDREWS the said summ of one hundred pounds and am well and truly satisfied contented and paid concerning the same sums.  Therefore I the said ELIZABETH MARSDEN for the consideration aforesaid doo Remise Release and forever Quit Claim unto them the said ANNA ANDREWS and ROBERT ANDREWS and either of them their and either of their executors, administrators and assigns and every of them all and all manner of  action and actions suits and causes of actions and suits, trespasses and promises, debts, damages, summ and summs of money, claimes and demands whatsoever which I the said Elizabeth Marsden ever had, now have, or which I or my executors, administrators or assigns or any of them in time to come can or may have claim, challenge or demand against them the said ANNA ANDREWS and ROBERT ANDREWS or either of them, their or either of their executors, administrators or assigns or any of them for or by reason of the said in part recited Will or for by reason of any other cause matter of thing whatsoever from the beginning of world until the day of the date hereof.  And further for the consideration aforesaid the said ELIZABETH MARSDEN doo hereby for me and my heirs Remise Release and forever Quit Claim unto him the said ROBERT ANDREWS and his heirs and assigns for ever the said house, shopps, lands and premises and the Reversion and Reversions and Rem. and Rems. thereof and all my estate, right title, interest, claim and demand whatsoever of in and unto the same so that neither I nor my heirs nor any other person or persons doe me or in my name or in the name right stead of me or them shall or will by any ways or means hereafter have claim challenge or demand any estate right title, or interest of in or unto the said premises or any part thereof.  In witness whereof I have hereafter set my hand and seal the twenty fourth day of June Anno Dom 1711

The document has an inscription reading "Aunt Marsden's Release to my Mother and me 1714", which was evidently written by Robert Andrews.




This site contains more information on the Andrews and Lever families: Andrews of Little Lever

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.